The most common cause of this error is Malware.
Each time when starting SpeechExec, following error message is shown:
“Internal error. (The type initializer for ‘Philips.PSP.SpeechExec.Common.SystemSettings.SettingItemDefaults’ threw an exception.)”
Cause of the Problem:
Malware blocks SpeechExec to start.
Solution or Target to Solution:
1. Test the computer for occurrence of malware with the proper software.
2. Remove the malware if it is installed on the system.
3. Restart the system.
SpeechExec should launch without the internal error message.
NOTE: If this does not resolve the problem (i.e. no malware is found) you will need to perform a clean uninstall.
How to perform a clean uninstall of Philips SpeechExec Pro software:
If no malware is found, the other option is to get a clean uninstall of SpeechExec from the PC.
1. Close any open Philips Speech applications
2. Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and uninstall all listed SpeechExec products
3. Delete theC:Documents and Settings\Local SettingsTempspeechexec” folder
4. Delete theC:Documents and Settings\Local SettingsTempSpeechExecTempAttachments” folder
5. Delete theC:Documents and Settings\Application DataPhilips Speech” folder
6. Delete theC:Document and Settings\My Documentsspeechexec” folder
7. Remove in the registry following folders
NOTE: Please do not make change to the Registry unless you are an experienced IT professional and make a backup prior to making any changes.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER SoftwarePhilips Speech Processing Dictation Systems
HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelPhilips Speech
8. Delete all other registry keys containing theSpeechExec” string
9. Go toC:Windowsassembly” and delete all the PSP.dlls and PIA.dlls
10. Go toC:Program FilesCommon FilesPhilips Speech SharedComponents” and delete SmEXAudio.dll
11. If there is aSpeechExec” subfolder located in the above mentioned path, then delete it as well.
12. Delete theC:Documents and Settings\Local SettingsApplication DataPhilips Speech” folder.
This folder exists for all SpeechExec versions before V4.2
13. Delete the filesC:Windowssystem32SpeechExecLic.dll” andSpeechExecLic.dat.
These files do NOT exist in SpeechExec 5.0.
14. Remove all related shortcuts on the Desktop
15. Remove theC:Program FilesPhilips Speech” folder
16. If theC:Windowssystem32″ folder contains following filesSpeechExecSpcapi.dll” andSpeechExecSpcapi.ini” please remove them.
Once completed, restart your computer then reinstall the Philips SpeechExec software.
Verification Source: Jackie Warren, Philips Technical Support Specialist
Test Date: 5.23.12